What is Knee Joint Replacement Surgery?
Knee Joint Replacement Surgery, also called Knee Arthroplasty, is a surgical process carried out for the replacement of a knee joint in case of any disease in the joint.
The procedure involves the removal of the diseased part of the knee joint that can be bone or cartilage of femur, tibia, and patella, and its replacement by a prosthesis that is an artificial joint made of metal or high-grade plastic.
Surgical Procedures of Knee Replacement
Nowadays there is more than one type of knee replacement surgery that is commonly performed in surgery.
- Total knee replacement: Also Known as Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA), it involves the removal of the joint surface of both, tibia and femur. Usually, surgeons prefer to avoid the removal of the patella.
- Partial knee replacement: This procedure includes the removal of only one side of the knee joint i.e., damaged or diseased side.
- Kneecap replacement: Also Known as Patellofemoral Arthroplasty, it involves the removal of the under surface of the patella.
- Revision knee replacement: It is also known as Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty. As the name suggests that it includes the revision of the ‘Knee Replacement’, the process follows the removal of the previously implanted prosthesis ‘artificial knee’ and revised (replaced) by a new one.
All of these types depend upon the condition of the patient’s knee joint, previous medical history, and general health of the patient.
Why is Knee Replacement Needed?
This is an important question because in many cases people do not take the symptoms of knee damage seriously. They keep taking pain killer medication instead of reporting those symptoms to orthopedics.
Some of the symptoms of the knee joint damage that indicate the need for Knee Replacement are:
- Pain in the knee joint that initiates while walking, climbing, or getting in and out of a chair
- Pain in the joint that initiates while sleeping and does not occur during rest
- When pain killers do not relieve the pain
- Knee swelling that does not get better with any treatment
- Knee Joint pain that reduces your range of bending or extending the knee
- Genu varum or genu valgus of the knee joint ( bowing in and out)
Preparation for Knee Replacement Surgery
You would need to prepare yourself and your body for the surgery beforehand by making sure that you are in a healthy condition. You need to maintain your diabetes and blood pressure in the normal range as well. Doctors also advise to take a dental check-up before surgery and treat any bacterial infection if present. Bacterial infections have frequent chances of spread in the blood through circulation. Get your blood tests to any other abnormality in the functioning of the body.
Your orthopedic or therapist may advise you to do some light and bearable exercises in order to strengthen your quadriceps (thigh muscles), so the recovery after the surgery can be at pace after surgery.
Outcomes of Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee Replacement has many advantages like,
- Pain relief
- Improved ranges of motion
- Improved functioning during daily activities
According to an article by NewYork Times, the efficacy of Knee Replacement Surgery in relieving pain and increasing mobility is more than non-surgical methods of treatment in patients of osteoarthritis.
A study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, found that 85% of patients treated by knee replacement surgery reported relief in pain and increase in mobility while only 68% of patients treated by non-surgical methods reported the same improvement.
Though the choice of Knee replacement surgery does depend on the health conditions of the patient, the option is available for all age groups, Whether you are a 24 years young man, or a 54 years old adult, this surgical procedure is safe and effective.
Knee Replacement Surgery in Singapore
Besides business, Singapore is also one of the popular medical tourism destinations of Asia where people from around the world come for their treatment due to the high-quality medical facilities, renowned doctors, and best patient care. It meets the expectations of the patients not only in terms of quality treatment but also in terms of cost-effectiveness.
To get a knee replacement surgery in Singapore, you need to go to the best orthopedic doctors in Singapore to ensure the best pain relief and improved quality of life. The success rate of cases done by experience orthopedics is found to be as high as 95%. The quality standards of knee replacement surgery in Singapore are just like any other European country or the US, but costs as lower as one-sixth of the cost in Europe or the USA.